What Can YOU Do, Now, about Gun Violence in America?
Consider an “Economic Campaign”
Did you know that 35% of U.S. stock mutual funds have more than $17.3 billion invested in gun, gun retailer, and ammunition companies?
What are these companies? There are nine:
- Four manufacturers: Olin Corporation; Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.; Smith & Wesson; and Vista Outdoor.
- Five retailers: Big 5 Sporting Goods; Dick’s Sporting Goods; Sportsman’s Warehouse, Cabela’s and Wal-Mart.
Do reputable mutual fund firms like Vanguard or Fidelity invest in these companies? YES. They do. So if you have money invested in their funds, your money may be supporting these firms.
- Vanguard has placed more than $5.7 billion of investor’s money in these corporations.
- Fidelity Investments has more than $791 million of investor’s money invested in these firms.
- TSP, the federal employee’s investment fund, has $846 million invested.
I do not want my money invested in these firms. What can I do?
- If you have a broker or financial advisor, contact them and ask them to remove your money from investment in these companies.
- If you invest your own money, check the site at the link below to find out if one of your current mutual funds invests in these firms, and to find possible alternative mutual funds
- Or, call your mutual fund provider and ask for their assistance.
We often hear, “How we use our money reflects our values.” Invest YOUR money to show your commitment to reducing the potential for gun violence in our communities.