The Pennsylvania Legislative Process
The link below provides a brief overview of the steps in the PA Legislative Process.
For a more detailed overview, visit this site:
2019-2020 Legislative Session
For the 2019-2020 legislative session, GunSenseUs has decided to focus its efforts on a three-part legislative agenda.
We are supporting:
- A background check for every firearm purchase (PA House Bill 673 | PA Senate Bill 88)
- “Extreme Risk” legislation, which gives families and law enforcement a tool to remove firearms temporarily from those whose behavior shows they may be a danger to self or others. These have been filed in the PA General Assembly as House Bill 1075 | Senate Bill 90 (Sponsored by State Sen. Tom Killion)
- One time Firearm Safety Education for gun purchasers
Help us “Make a Safe BET!”
Background Checks for Every Gun Purchase
In PA, individual gun owners and high volume private sellers can sell long guns (shot guns or rifles) directly to another person with no background check required. Long guns include semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15. These types of guns have been used in several mass shootings.
Every type of gun can be deadly. Background checks keep those who should not have guns from buying them. For more information: Universal_Background_Checks_Backgrounder
Extreme Risk Law
Imagine a gun owner has threatened to shoot you or kill themselves. You’ve heard there’s nothing the police can do to help. Fourteen states have now enacted Extreme Risk laws (in PA referred to as an Extreme Risk Protection Order or ERPO.)
With this tool, family or police can ask a court to temporarily remove guns from an individual posing a threat. See the attached file for more information about the Extreme Risk proposal: ERPO_5_12_19
Training before Firearm Purchase
Right now, you can go and buy a gun with no knowledge of gun types, gun law, safe handling, or safe storage.
Since 1982, PA has required hunters to pass a hunting safety certification to reduce hunting injury and death. 34,000 people a year get certified. Hunting injuries and deaths have decreased.
We’d like PA to require a one-time firearm safety certification before gun purchase. Let’s improve safety for the gun owner and those around them. For more information click here: Safety_Education_Backgrounder
We are working to build support for this idea before filing legislation. Interested in helping? Email us at email@example.com
For More information on a Bill: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/
Have an opinion you want to express?
Find your PA state legislators here.
When you contact a legislator, consider what your brief message is (please support or please oppose and the Bill #), and what you are asking. You might consider the following:
1) Will the legislator co-sponsor or at a minimum support the bill? (Or, will they oppose the bill if that is your view.)
2) Will the legislator publish their position on their website and in their mass communications with constituents?
3) Will the legislator work to influence party leaders to bring the bill out of committee and to a vote on the floor?
Elected officials tell us that hearing from their constituents is a key consideration in their voting decisions.